Sunday, February 25, 2007

Does Age Quash Our Gay Spirit of Adventure?



What do you think?

I found this segment by Robert Krulwich at NPR radio that raised some good questions. Go have a listen at this link Does Age Quash Our Spirit of Adventure? Then come back and let us know what you think.



While Krulwich points out that increased age seems to correlate with a decline in the spirit of adventure, I wonder - since gay men are often a little out of sync with society with regard to development, if this report rings true for you. Since we are one of the first post-Stonewall groups to go from youth to middle age, are we required to be "adventurous" about deciding who we are going to be? What was the most adventurous thing you have done lately?



Be adventurous and come back to leave your ever important comment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

At 55 I took my passport, air ticket and eurail pass and went to Denmark, French Alps, then off to Prague and back to DK. At 60, with a crutch, back pack and bag on wheels, back to Denmark, then to Normandy, Bordeaux, Paris metro during rush hour & survived, then back to Copenhagen. Am ready for more.
froggy

Anonymous said...

I tried sushi for the first time when I was 43. I got my tragus pierced when I was 44. My partner's musical tastes are very different from mine (I tend to like folk, folk/rock) and I am learning to appreciate his music.

While Mr. Scientist was looking at neurology, he forgot to think about cultural pressure. Maybe the reason people close themselves off to new experience has less to do with biology and more to do with society's constant "You're too old to do (fill in the blank)."

Powered by WebRing.